Home > A look back at the Anniversary
A Look Back at the Anniversary
A few weeks after the celebration, we take a look back at these two days where everyone had a chance to celebrate a lively and eventful past and rejoice in the happiness of reunion with former collegues & friends.
You can choose to:
- Read a personal view of these two days
- Take a look at the many photos taken during the event
- Watch a video of the event
- See a chronological overview the event
- Read the messages received after the Anniversary
- Download some of the documents featured during these two days
"A personal view" by Tim Radford, science writer
Tim Radford, science writer & moderator of our first round table on ESF's Added-value, shares below his account of ESF's 40th anniversary event in Strasbourg.
A birthday party with a difference
It was a 40th birthday party with a difference: to celebrate a lively and eventful past, but with no easily visible future. But what might have been a wistful event turned into a surprisingly lively one, partly because so many people on the formal panels, and so many people in the audience, seemed to think that more was needed to secure the future of European science, a future made possible at least in part by ESF itself.
Click on any of the photos to go to the Anniversay Photo Gallery.
ESF 40th Anniversary Highlights
A chronological overview of the two days
- Science-Society ESF 15-5-14Keynote speech by Nobel Chemistry Laureate Jean-Marie Lehn3.9 M
- What the Digital Revolution Means for UsDirk Helbing's (ETH Zurich) notes from the Panel on New Science: evidence based research.240 K
- Fluctuat nec MergiturAn ode to ESF by Christoph Mühlberg9.2 K
- ESF 40th Anniversary group photo - HiRes PhotoAll participants in the 40th Anniversary event were invited to pose for a group photo in the courtyard of the Hôtel de Ville.9.2 M